Me at 199

Me at 199
A journey toward fitness and good health

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I scream for ice cream

It has been a month already since the beginning of theis diet. This does not impress you but it impresses me and I am beyond the goal weight for this time period. The biggest hurdle for me is just the conscientious continuation of a slow to moderate rate of weight loss.

Between this blog and writing down my approximate caloric intake by putting it on a handy and easy post-it note every day, this is a winning approach.

Not having to go to my computer and entering every item on a spread sheet makes it practical and easy. Am I exactly correct on my calorie intake? No, but no matter what the real calories are, and I do look at the packaging, the real advantage is that I am focusing on what is going into my body. And no matter how true I am to the actual calories, and how close I am most interested in is seeing my percentage gain or loss of daily calories. So even if the estimate is off by a factor of 1 or 1000, the percentages will be more accurate and tell the story of what is going into the stomach.

The intake of calories have dropped by about 30 percent, and my want of large quantities of food has gone by the wayside. I don't look at a pizza and think that I could eat 1/2 of a large. I put several pieces on my plate (small side salad plate) and it looks full. Before the last bit of food, I try to leave at least a few bites and think to myself, "I am full, I don't even want that last bit." So when I push away from the table, my mind says to itself, "that was a satisfying, filling meal."

Last night, I had a very light morning for food and then had probably one of the biggest meals I have had in the past month. We had a great steak, and I ate probably 800 calories in steak. Then for the first time in a month I had any real appreciable amount of sugar in an ice cream cone, with a sugar cone. It made me crash! I fell asleep on the couch about 20 minutes after dinner, and I slept for three hours. My body just is not as used to sugar as it once was, and that is a very good thing.

I am guessing that my weight loss is going to get a little harder as my body shrinks and I need less overall calories, but this plan seems to work.

As a side note, I got on my digital scale this morning and it wobbles back and forth before it settles on the exact weight, and for the first time in a long time it wobbled into the 250-260 range. That means I am getting closer to the next set of ten pounds. It feels good!



Very Best,

"Onesville"

No comments: