Me at 199

Me at 199
A journey toward fitness and good health

Thursday, April 16, 2009

268 on a Wednesday.

Well I am starting off a bit irregular. I think I will put this in and tell you that I am down to 268.

I told you on the first post that I would tell you about the best weight loss for me ever was 15 years ago. I did an extreme diet trying to drop 30 pounds in about 2 months, I did it, but it was all consuming and I had a very good reason to do it, besides good long term health.

I would never suggest anyone to do this kind of diet, it just is not healthy. It drained my body, I lost the weight but it was also partially from muscle loss, much too rapid, and it was not good for my health. When I went for my physical (the purpose of my weight loss) I still looked heavy for what I needed to be at, but I met the top of the qualification just by 2 pounds on the high side of the scale. So the tech was not expecting much from me in the physical side of the evaluation.... I blew their minds because after a 2 minute jumping jacks session, my pulse went up 2 beats a minute from my resting rate. I was in fighting shape, I just didn't look it.

At that time I ate probably 500-700 calories a day, swam, jumped rope, ran, (thought about food all day and all night long) and then drank prodigious amounts of water. I ate a horrible diet, but it got the final (albeit temporary) results I needed quickly.

When the final doctor saw me and looked over the extensive testing results, he said everything looked great except that my "keytones" were too high, very high.


I had no idea what that meant so I asked politely, "May I ask what that means" I was worried. His response was a question to answer a question. He asked me "Son, do you eat at Taco Bell alot?"

I was stunned" as it turned out that was where I would eat almost everyday, a chili-cheese burrito mid day (what a diet, thank God I was still young and didn't end up starving to death).

This doctor is good I thought to myself. What the hell do they put in taco bell stuff, is it the cleaner for the grill, some exotic chemical? Before the age of google where you can find out prodigeous amounts of information quickly, I had no idea what that meant, and didn't for another almost ten years. I finally realized that because I was losing so much weight so quickly that I was also losing muscle weight, not just fat, and when your body breaksdown muscle, it leaves a chemical keytone, a condition known as Keytosis, not horrible, but not great for you either (BTW, I am not a doctor so I can not say for sure that this is all medically correct).

So after all that experience, I think that losing approximately just over 1.3 pounds a week for a year is very doable and very healthy, assuming I eat correctly.


I have thus far lost 2 pounds, mostly water weight I am sure, getting me going in the right direction, but I ate too little yesterday, making me very hungry and before I went to bed I ate too many chips and salsa, at least it was a vegetable but I am sure my body could have done with out the carbs and salt from the corn chips.

I did very well with my South Beach diet last year, so I think I am going to start with that process in mind but modify it. I don't really have a great plan but I believe in the quote.

Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. -Napoleon Hill

So I will do that, plus I need to start walking, swimming and doing some strength training.

Right now, I think I will get my kids to do a short bike ride.

Dinner, I think I will try to concentrate on vegetables and a little protein from fish.

Start Weight; 270, today 268, -2 pounds so far.
Goal Weight; 199 pounds by 4/12/2010= 69 pounds to go.


I will try to weigh myself on Sundays from now on and report back here.


Anyone have suggestions at weight loss goals or the pacing of doing it?

If I get ahead, should I allow my self to stabelize, or back off, or should I go for the 1.3 pounds a week, no matter what?

Very Best,

"Onesville"

No comments: